Church planting - Wiki
SEND U wiki
Church Planting Goals and Phases in SEND International
- Overview of SEND's 7 Church Planting phases - updated March 2017
- Steps towards DMM for teams and individuals in DMM Training Guide of SEND U.
- church planting phases by Dick Scoggins and James Rockford, version 3.0
- Comparison of the different models of church planting phases (by Bruce Cannon)
- Seven Seasons of Church Planting (by Global Church Advancement)
- SEND's Church Planting Roadmap Document for teams
Disciple Making Movements (DMM) and Church Planting Movements (CPM)
Video Summarizing DMM's and the Great Commission
Video of DMM Example
Second video, this one by Act Beyond on Starting Church Planting Movements (CPM's/DMM's), gives a more in-depth look into the process.
More Resources for starting many communities of faith can be found on the CPM and DMM page.
Training in Church Planting
- Multiplying Churches Globally (MCG) Church Planting School hosted by ReachGlobal with SEND collaboration - SEND U is recommending that SEND missionaries particularly those with church planting assignments attend this training.
- SEND U is also collaborating with World Team in developing online course in Church planting according to their CPM RoadMap series. The first of the four courses in the series is Evangelism: Abundantly Sowing the Seed. The second course is Discipleship - Growing Mature Followers of JesusDiscipleship. The third course is Church: Nurturing Communities of Faith and the current version of the syllabus is here.
- Frank Severn's Church Planting Manual - Our former General Director developed this manual and used it in training our new missionaries in church planting.
- Jonathan Training, a 2-week church planting training program developed by OMF
- Omega Course - Practical Church Planter Training - produced by the Alliance for Saturation Church Planting and recommended by Dick Walton, former SEND Area Director in South Central Europe, US and the Philippines. Five practical training manuals which each offer 26 hours of instruction; sharing a vision for saturation church planting as well as practical principles and priorities for accomplishing local church plants. Designed for modular instruction in a working seminar format, the training schedule can be adapted for work/ministry realities of YOUR trainees.
- Worldview Resource Group - training in cross-cultural church planting
- Training in coaching church planters - see the materials developed by Philippine Challenge and used to train coaches for church planters. Larry Salisbury has used these materials extensively. Much of the notes are in Tagalog.
Books/Articles on Church Planting
- Global Church Planting: Biblical Principles and Best Practices for Multiplication by Gene Wilson and Craig Ott. Highly recommended, and pre-event reading for the Multiplying Churches Globally church planting school in Minneapolis.
- A Vision of the Possible (free PDF download) by Daniel Sinclair. Very helpful information for any church planting team leader or team member, but particularly for expatriate church planting teams among unreached people groups. Reviewed in the January 2008 editionof Evangelical Missions Quarterly.
- purchase A Vision of the Possible from Amazon
- Discovering Church Planting by J.D. Payne. Payne explores the biblical, historical and missiological principles of global church planting as well as unfolding practical strategies for confronting contemporary challenges to our vital task in reaching a lost world. This comprehensive introduction to church planting shows the reader how to apply effective, international church planting practices to specific contexts. J. D. speaks from personal experience, research and training and focuses on crucial issues every planter should consider. His well researched and easy to understand concepts are crucial for anyone who takes seriously the call of Scripture to "Declare His glory among the nations and His marvelous deeds to all peoples."
- Section I: Discovering Biblical and Theological Foundations
- Section II: Discovering Missiological Principles
- Section III: Discovering Historical Paradigms
- Section IV: Discovering Contemporary Issues
- Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry in Your City by Timothy Keller. Review by Rick Perhai.
- Planting Churches Cross-Culturally: North America and Beyond by David J. Hesselgrave
- Passing the Baton by Tom A. Steffen
- Breaking Tradition to Accomplish Vision: Training Leaders for a Church-Planting Movement: A Case from India by Paul Gupta and Sherwood G. Lingenfelter
- Home Cell Group Explosion: How Your Small Group Can Grow and Multiply [With Study Guide]by Joel Comiskey. Highly recommended by Leif Gustafson, team leader in Siberia.
- Recovering the Sacred Center: Church Renewal from the Inside Outby Howard E. Friend, Jr. Recommended by Gerrie Castillo. "This book is a reflective approach designed to help readers discover new ways of understanding themselves and the mission of the church."
- Apostolic Church Planter - pastoral, catalytic and apostolic church planters compared. From Ott, Craig; Wilson, Gene (2010-12-01). Global Church Planting: Biblical Principles and Best Practices for Multiplication (Kindle Locations 1976-1978). Baker Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Training Church Leaders for Church Plants
- Bible Training Center for Pastors - used extensively in the Philippines to train pastors, and recommended by Larry Salisbury
- Free books by Randall Hillebrand, a CrossWorld missionary serving in Ukraine (offered in English, Russian, French and Farsi)
Other Online Resources
- Online resources from ReachGlobal to accompany the Global Church Planting book sited above.
- Church planting resources from SBC - recommended by Larry Salisbury, church planting team leader in the Philippines
- Cross-Cultural Church Planting Resources by Roland Muller, author of The Messenger, the Message and the Community, and primarily focusing on church planting in Muslim contexts
- Help in Planting and Multiplying Churches - blog by Dr. Bob Vajko, TEAM International Church Planting Consultant. Dr. Vajko has been a church planter in France for 29 years. His church planting publication is recommended by John McDuffee (SEND Spain).
- ChurchPlanting.com -- "At ChurchPlanting.com we aim to equip and encourage church planters who are aimed at winning others into relationship with Christ. Bloggers on the site include a Who’s Who list from the Church Planting World comprised of coaches and authors. These are people who think beyond typical conventions and who are interested in seeing lots of people won into relationship with Christ through church planting." See blogs here: ChurchPlanting.com | Encouraging Church Planters Around The Globe
- Church Planting Financial Code of Ethics a starting point for considering finances and Church Planting.