DMM - Wiki
SEND U wiki
Table of Contents [-]
- How do I learn more about DMM and CPM and DBS?
- Paradigm shifts for DMM ministry
- Principles and foundations of DMM from the 2014 Asia Regional Equipping Seminar (ARES)
- The 7 question DBS study
Church Planting Movements (CPM), Disciple Making Movements (DMM) and Discovery Bible Studies (DBS)
Much of recent the Church planting, particularly in difficult contexts has been through Church Planting Movements (CPM's) and Disciple Making Movements (DMM's). Discovery Bible Study is the reproducible approach most frequently used in DMM's for applying the Word.
- Summary of DMM principles and DBS by Turner and Mandell
How do I learn more about DMM and CPM and DBS?
- See the steps towards DMM for teams and individuals in a helpful 2-page DMM Training Guide of SEND U
- The Discovery Bible Study Page has more info about DBS'.
- DMM training videos with leading DMM expert, David Watson. Highly recommended by SEND'ers as helpful and informative (tho preceded by an ad). To get started on the link, on the list of videos at the right, scroll down to the bottom, click "more videos". The first one is titled "introductions".
- David and Paul Watson's Contagious Disciple Making resources page with recordings and studies.
- Article called "Should we still Teach" defending the role of teaching in Church planting, along with responose by Ted Szymczak, highlighting the strengths of a discovery, DBS approach and the place of both approaches.
- Article Comparing T4T and DMM (DBS) Part 1 from Mission Frontier Jan/Feb 2015 and Part 2 of comparison article from May 1, 2015.
- Online Disciple-making course with our partners at WorldTeam called: Discipleship - Growing Mature Followers of Jesus challenging content and stimulating discussion with other learners who see the critical role of discipleship in church planting among the unreached.
- Best practices in the general area of Disciplemaking.
- Contagious Disciple Making is the latest work by DMM experts, David and Paul Watson. The Watsons build on their extensive experience to outline both the theory and practice of launching simple, prayer based, home grown churches on a global scale.
- Spent Matches by Roy Moran shares the journey of Shoal Creek church in Kansas City from an attractional megachurch model to a hybrid approach with an intentional disciple making focus. This book is a valuable resource for doing DMM in a North American, urban context.
- Miraculous Movements by Jerry Trousdale tells the stories of numerous DMM's and gives helpful DBS resources in the appendix.
- Downloadable David Garrison seminal book on Church Planting Movements.
- T4T A Discipleship Re-Revolution by Steve Smith and Ying Kai tells about Training For Trainers (T4T) approach to CPM's.
Paradigm shifts for DMM ministry
(from the "Miraculous Movements", Jerry Trousdale, book)
- Intercessory prayer the foundation of the ministry
- Make disciples who make disciples
- Invest time in the right people
- Don't tell people what to believe or do
- Never settle for revealing just one dimension of Jesus' life
- Never substitute knowledge about God for an obedience-based relationship with God
- Understand that Jesus does impossible things through the most ordinary people
- As well as the following:
- Learn to be a great facilitator, not teacher or pastor;
- Allow room for the process to be messy
- Don’t try to control the group or the process;
- Natural networks are the key to a healthy and successful group
Additional Videos (over a dozen) illustrating key principles of Disciple Making Movements, Asia.
Principles and foundations of DMM from the 2014 Asia Regional Equipping Seminar (ARES)
A. Heavy investment into Ethnographic Research helps make connections
B. More prayer oriented not doctrine oriented, don't be afraid to pray for people.
C. Word Of God Central – make disciples by teaching them to obey everything God commanded (Matt 28:19, 20). All questions should be directed back to scripture and answered by scripture. The focus is not teaching the scripture but facilitating discussion that allow participants to discover the word of God for themselves.
D. “apostolic” Team
- Little “a” apostle, like Junius, start new initiatives. Apostolic Agents are action oriented. Their support could for example be 2/3 from donation, 1/3 from business/ job,
- Keep org walls low (open to others). Analogy: Special meals are the blending of ingredients.
E. Focus on the Fruit
F. Holistic Ministry (Intersection of Access + Love), Great Commission and Great commandment. As we minister to people in love, we build bridges strong enough to support the transforming Good News of Jesus.
The 7 question DBS study
(modeled after David Watson’s DBS approach)
- 1. What are you rejoicing in?
- 2. What are you challenged by?
- 3. What have you learned about God from this passage?
- 4. What do we learn about Jesus from this passage?
- 5. What have you learned about mankind from this passage?
- 6. What will I do this week based on this passage?
- 7. With whom will you share what you learned today?