Instructions for editing on the wiki - Wiki
As of April 1, 2019, this wiki is no longer being updated by SEND U. Please go to https://senduwiki.org/, the new home for this wiki.
SEND U wiki
Instructions for editing on the wiki
- To edit, click on edit in the top left corner. You can only edit if you are logged into Crosswired.com.
- To save your editing, click on either "Save as Draft" or "Publish" at the bottom of the page. Draft pages are only visible to the owner of the document and the wiki administrators.
- To create a heading, highlight the text you have typed, and choose the appropriate heading from the pop-up menu.
- To create a Table of Contents, type <<TableOfContents>> into the top line of the document. Make sure it is typed exactly as written. Highlight <<TableOfContents>>and change it to "Normal" (not one of the headings).
- To add a number or bullet to the front of any text, highlight the text, and choose the option you want.
- To create a copy of a wiki page, click on "Details" in the menu bar, click on "Copy" in Advanced Actions, and then give the new page a new name and click on "Publish".
- To generate a Word document or a PDF of a wiki page, click on "Details" in the menu bar, and then choose the right option in the "Convert to" line.
- By clicking on </> in the top right-hand corner of the edit screen, you can look at the underlying code for the page. This is often helpful for identifying problems with formatting, particularly with the Table of Contents on a particular page.
- You can search both text on wiki pages and text in uploaded documents by typing into the search bar in the upper left.
- You can search for specific words or phrases on wiki pages by typing into the search bar on the top right. Phrases could be enclosed in "quotation marks". This search bar has the added benefit of giving you a shorter URL that you can copy.
- You can search only the documents that have been uploaded to the SEND U wiki by clicking on "Wiki documents" at the top of the Navigation menu, and then using the search bar at the upper right. These results cannot be accessed by regular users.
- After clicking on a search result, the list of search results will move into the Navigation column on the left. You can choose other search results if the first one you clicked on was not the one you were looking for. But if you want to restore the Navigation bar, click on the black little house icon to the left of "FrontPage" at the top of the page. The white house icon will take you to the main Crosswired page.
- Linking to an existing wiki page is really easy. Type "[" and the first letters of the existing page, then select the right page from the pop-up menu. You can edit the displayed name of the page by clicking in the middle of the link and typing in the name you want to show, and then deleting the old name on both ends. Remember to "Publish" to save your change.
- If you already know the URL to a wiki page, you can also highlight any text, choose the chain in the pop-up box, insert the URL into the box, and then click on the checkmark. Remember to "Publish" to save your change.
- To upload a document, click on "Wiki documents" in the green navigation bar. Click on the + sign in the lower right corner. Chose "Multiple Documents". Either drag and drop your files or select the file(s) you want to upload. Click on "Publish" to make the files available to be seen on the wiki.
- Linking to an uploaded document on a wiki page is also easy. Highlight the text you want to make into a link, choose the chain in the pop-up box, click on the file folder icon, search for the document you want, click on the right document, and then click on "Add" in the lower left corner. Remember to "Publish" to save your change.
- Do not put links in headings. This was possible in Wikispaces but does not work well here.
- To set the permissions on a wiki page so that only wiki members can see it, click on "Details" in the top menu bar when not in editing mode. Choose "Permissions" in Advanced Actions, and then clear all boxes in the Guest row, so that "guests" (those not logged in) can neither view the page or add to the discussion on that page. Then click on "Save". A green pop-up at the top should confirm your action. Now when you log out of Crosswired, you will not be able to see this page.
- To set the permissions on a document so that only wiki members can see it, click on "Wiki documents" in the Navigation menu on the left-hand side. Search for the document you are wanting to protect in the top search bar. Do NOT click on the document name. Instead, click on the 3 dots to the right of the document. Choose "Permissions". Clear all boxes in the Guest row, so that guests (those not logged in) can neither view the page or add to the discussion on that page. Then click on "Save". A green pop-up at the top should confirm your action. Now when you log out of Crosswired, you will not be able to see this page.
Assigning Parent Documents
- This wiki has the ability to group pages in "families" with parent pages (main topic) and child pages (sub-topics). Child pages are listed at the bottom of each parent page. If you open a child page and then click on the "Back" button (<) beside the title, you will return to the parent page. This makes it easy to do research on a main topic, by checking out all the sub-topics and never losing track of the main topic page. We can also have grandchild pages (sub-sub-topics). Each edition of MOP will be a child of the main MOP page and each session of that MOP will be a child of that edition of MOP (eg. MOP July 2018).
- To assign a page to a particular parent, click on "Details" in the top menu bar, choose "Move" in "Advanced Actions" and then click on the "Change Parent" tab. Click on the wiki page listed in "New Parent" and a pop-up box should emerge with a list of all the wiki pages. Choose the right parent. Then click on "Change Parent".
- You can also add a new "Child Page" to any page right from the top menu bar.