Member Care - Wiki
SEND U wiki
SEND U wiki
Marks of Effective and Sustainable Life and Ministry
- Go to the Marks wiki page for more information. This resource was developed by the 2014 SEND Eurasia Leadership Development cohort.
- The downloadable PDF contains a self-assessment tool for helping missionaries achieve and maintain personal health in key areas of life and ministry. It also contains a directory of resources that can address issues discovered through the self-assessment tool above
Dealing with the Busyness and Stress of Ministry
- See section on burnout on the Emotional Wellness page.
- Building Resilience in Hard Places
- Skimming:Stop trying to look good, and do the dirty work beneath the surface. Great article by Pete Scazzero from Leadership Journal.
- The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath - book by Mark Buchanan. Recommended by Warren Janzen at 2009 Leadership Couples' Orientation. Book summary. Buy on Amazon.
- Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives- book by Richard Swenson. Recommended by Eric Oldenburg.
- In Search of Balance: Keys to A Stable Life by Richard Swenson. Recommended by Eric Oldenburg.
- Survival Skills: What you need to minister with your spirit intact. An article by Pastor James Emory White, senior pastor of Mecklenburg Community Church
- Tyranny of the Urgent (5 Pack)- a little booklet by Charles Hummel. Sold by Amazon in a 5-pack.
- Review by David Mays of All Stressed Up and Everywhere to Go: Solutions to De-Stressing Your Life and Recovering Your Sanity by Gaylyn R. Williams and Ken Williams
- Review by David Mays of The Stress Effect: Why Smart Leaders Make dumb Decisions - And What to Do About It by Henry L. Thompson.
- CHOPS Inventory of Stressors - a chart where you can describe struggles, strategies and successes in several different categories of stressors
Books on Member Care
- Books on member care issues by Ron & Bonnie Koteskey - 11 books on cross-cultural worker marriages, Third Culture kids, adolescence, re-entry - free downloads in PDF, Word, Kindle and epub formats.
- Where Is God When It Hurts? by Philip Yancy
- Trauma & Resilience: A Handbook- Effectively Supporting Those Who Serve God by Frauke & Charlie Schaefer, April 2015 (Barnabas International)
- World Evangelical Alliance resource books, free for download, including:
- Too Valuable to Lose: Exploring the Causes and Cures of Missionary Attrition - William Taylor. Recommended by Lazaro Pascual.
- Doing Member Care Well - Kelly O'Donnell
- Raising Resilient MKs: Resource for Caregivers, Parents & Teachers - Joyce Bowers
- Serving as Senders Today - by Neal Pirolo
- The Reentry Team: Caring for your returning missionaries - by Neal Pirolo
- Additional training resources for member care
- Mentoring New Missionaries - This is an excellent EMQ article from 2008 with a great rationale for the need to mentor new missionaries and specific ideas as to how to do this. This could provide the foundation for a great proposal/recommendation. For SEND members only.
- Questions for Mentors/New Missionaries - This is a very simple, one-page list of questions in 5 keys areas that all new missionaries are faced with: language study, cultural adjustment, spiritual health, personal/family adjustments, and church involvement. This just gives an idea of some of the kinds of practical questions that could be discussed between mentor and mentee.
- Thrive in a New Place (SIM) - This is a great little booklet put out by SIM, again to be used in a mentoring relationship with a new missionaries. It is intended to be used weekly over the course of several months. Included are great questions, covering a range of topics, as well as evaluation tools. Again, a great little tool that could easily be adapted to a particular team/field.
Member Care Radio
- Daily radio programs from Member Care Media. Member Care Media (MCM) is a media ministry of TWR (www.twr.org) specially prepared for cross-cultural workers whose obedience to the Great Commission has taken them to difficult regions. The program content not only reminds them of God’s promise that He is with them to the very end of the earth, but also addresses changing needs from recruitment to retirement.
Overcoming in the Struggle with Pornography
- Restoring the Soul – website with resources for the struggle with porn addiction
- Treating Pornography Addiction: The Essential Tools for Recovery by Kevin B Skinner
- Surfing for God: Discovering the Divine Desire Beneath Sexual Struggle by Michael John Cusick
- “A Care Team Approach to Healing and Restoration of Missionaries” by Steven Edlin
- I Surrender All: Rebuilding a Marriage Broken by Pornography by Clay & Renee Cross
- Your Brain on Porn - free e-book from Covenant Eyes
- Every Man's Battle: Winning the War on Sexual Temptation One Victory at a Time by Stephen Arterburn, Fred Stoeker and Mike Yorkey
- The Addiction Bubble: The world within the fantasy - a presentation created by a recovering self-addict, now studying in seminary
- Setting Captives Free- recommended by Dave King
- Hooked: A Christian response to Porn Addiction - 1 hour video by Covenant Eyes
- Wired for Intimacy: How Pornography Hijacks the Male Brain by William Struthers
- Closing the Window: Steps to Living Porn Free by Tim Chester
- Dirty Girls Come Clean by Crystal Renaud
- Sex and the Supremacy of God - free book in PDF format, edited by John Piper
- Missionary Marriage: Computer Sex or Me - recommended by the IO for all SEND missionaries
- Many, many more resources from Covenant eyes - for men, for ministry leaders, for wives, for women
- Internet Protection and Accountability software