Member Orientation Program - Wiki
SEND U wiki
Member Orientation Program
For MOP info, stay right here.- -For MOP-up info, go to this page
MOP is a training program of the International Office of SEND International, and is required for all members of SEND prior to their departure for their field of service. Appointees are qualified to attend the Member Orientation Program once they have reached 66% of their monthly financial support requirements.
The curriculum and objectives of MOP are established by SEND U, SEND's training department. Regardless of whether the MOP is held in North America or Asia, the instruction is all in English.
The Member Orientation Program training begins with a 5-week online module. See the syllabus for the online course here.
SEND U conducts an onsite Member Orientation Program two times a year in two different locations.
- The MOP in Farmington, Michigan is held every July, just prior to the SEND USA Family Conference. This MOP is intended primarily for those appointees coming from North America (USA and Canada), Europe and Latin America.
- The MOP in Asia has been conducted in Quezon City, Philippines. The curriculum and objectives are almost identical to the MOP in Farmington, although the majority of the facilitators were from Asia or had served in Asia as SEND missionaries. The MOP in Asia is primarily intended for appointees from Asia, although a few of the participants come from other sending areas outside of Asia. The handouts, schedules, announcements and other relevant information for MOPs held in Asia can be found here on the SEND U wiki.
MOP exists to equip missionary appointees and their children for effective transition into fruitful intercultural ministry with SEND International. To accomplish this purpose SEND seeks to:
- foster the participant’s commitment to the regular practice of nurturing one’s relationship with God
- deepen the participant’s understanding of SEND’s values and mission statement
- equip the participant to address the challenges they and/or their family will face in a cross-cultural context
- introduce the participant to ministry strategies and skills needed in cross-cultural ministry
Upcoming Member Orientation Programs Scheduled
- MOP July 2018 in Farmington (with 3 days of pre-field security training preceding it)
- July 9-21, 2017 in Farmington, Michigan
- February 26 - March 10, 2017 - Quezon City, Philippines
- July 10-22, 2016 in Farmington, Michigan
- Feb 7-19, 2016 in Farmington, Michigan
- July 5-17, 2015 in Farmington, Michigan - on the wiki
- February 8-20, 2015 in Quezon City, Philippines - on the wiki
- July 6-18, 2014 in Farmington, Michigan - on the wiki
- Feb 16-28, 2014 in Farmington, Michigan - on SharePoint and on the wiki
- July 8-19, 2013 in Farmington, Michigan - on the wiki
- January 14-25, 2013 in Quezon City, Philippines (handout can be found here)
MOP Training Topics and Objectives
- MOP Curriculum Guide 2017
- MOP Curriculum Guide 2015
- MOP Curriculum Guide 2014
- MOP Curriculum Guide 2013
- MOP Curriculum Guide 2012.docx
MOP Reading List
This reading must be completed before the missionary leaves for the field. There are two parts to the MOP reading list:
- General reading list (for all MOP participants)
- Field-required reading list - Field specific reading is to be completed by appointees before their first departure for the field. From the list provided appointees should complete a minimum of 400 pages of reading. See Individual country reading lists
Resources Used For MOP Online
Defining Worldview & Culture
- What is Worldview - a short video clip
- Cross-Cultural Connections: Stepping Out and Fitting In Around the World by Duane Elmer.
- “The Messenger, The Message, and the Community” by Roland Muller
- Honor & Shame 101 - a video clip explaining honor- and shame-based worldviews
Understanding Culture & Personal Cultural Values
- Understanding Culture by Lloyd E. Kwast
- Ministering Cross-Culturally by Lingenfelter & Mayers - the authors present a model to help cross-cultural workers identify their own basic values.
- Culture Stressa video clip of a presentation given by Dan Fishel to incoming International Students at the Columbia Business School. This video shows how culture differences can result in stress. It is also interesting to hear a foreigner's perception of American culture. And find Part 2 here.
- Bennett's Developmental Model of Intercultural Sensitivity - video clip
- Is the U-curve 4 stages of cultural adaptation valid? SENDU blog post by Darlene Jovellanos
- What Missionaries out to Know About Culture Stress - by Ronald L. Koteskey
- Am I still Me? - by Lois Dodds., discussing how the stresses that are created by a cross-cultural move often result in a deep identity crisis.
Incarnational Ministry & Sacrifice
- "The Incarnation as the Foundation for Missions" by Ernest Manges
- “Sent like Jesus” (blog post by Gary Ridley)
- "Lifestyle Choices in Missions: What to Carry/What to Leave Behind" by Christine Jeske.
- "The Missionary as Cultural Pilgrim" by Marcus Dean. One way of thinking about the journey of a missionary is as a “cultural pilgrim.”
Child Pages (13)
= Introduction to MOP = SEND International’s Member Orientation Program or MOP as it is affectionately known is a pre-field training program designed to help prepare SEND missionaries for a...
= Member Orientation Program in the Philippines = == January 14 - 25, 2013 == == MOP Purpose Statement: == MOP exists to equip missionary appointees and their children for effective transition into...
= MOP [[https://sendu.crosswired.com/documents/2424143/2567491/Purpose+and+Program+Objectives+for+MOP.docx/196d6b5e-265a-04b5-e947-670362ee0766|purpose and objectives]] = **MOP Curriculum**...
< > = MOP purpose and objectives = = Schedule =...
< > = MOP Schedule = *[[https://sendu.crosswired.com/documents/2424143/2567491/Winter+2016+Week+1+Schedule.pdf/e6c8e440-9f0e-cf19-ec74-876159610bb4|Winter 2016 Week 1]] as PDF...
= MOP [[https://sendu.crosswired.com/documents/2424143/2567491/Purpose+and+Program+Objectives+for+MOP.docx/196d6b5e-265a-04b5-e947-670362ee0766|purpose and objectives]] = = Schedule =...
= MOP [[https://sendu.crosswired.com/documents/2424143/2567491/Program+Objectives+for+MOP+2013.docx/51c9d7bd-0860-9d2d-f912-9f270ecbafde|purpose and objectives]] = = = =...
< > = MOP purpose and objectives = = Schedule = *[[https://sendu.crosswired.com/sendu-wiki/-/wiki/Main/Member+Orientation+Program+Schedule|MOP schedule on Google Calendar]] (page)...
< > = MOP Purpose and Objectives = = MOP MK Program Objectives = = Schedule = *MOP schedule on [[https://www.google.com/calendar/render?tab=wc#main_7%7Cweek-2+23269+23275+23269|Google...
< > = MOP Schedule = *Summer 2016 [[https://sendu.crosswired.com/documents/2424143/2567491/Master+Schedule+Week+1+July2016.pdf/42cf353a-106d-eba2-7a43-7a034f37b6c3|Week...
< > == MOP Schedule == *[[https://sendu.crosswired.com/documents/2424143/2567491/Master+Schedule+July2017.pdf/810dde84-510d-227f-16d5-9f83575f0f81|MOP July 2017 Schedule]]...
< > == MOP Schedule ==...
= Program Outcomes for the SEND Member Orientation Program = **Through the course of MOP, the participants will…** #Review healthy habits for spiritual growth and practice spiritual disciplines...