Personal Growth - Wiki
As of April 1, 2019, this wiki is no longer being updated by SEND U. Please go to https://senduwiki.org/, the new home for this wiki.
SEND U wiki
SEND U wiki
Table of Contents [-]
Creating a Individual Growth Plan
- IGP guide or roadmap -- A guide, self-assessment and form for creating an Individual Growth Plan developed by SEND U. For creating a IGP for mission leaders, see Personal Growth of the leader.
- A process for self-assessment and creating a personal growth plan, developed by SEND China
- Ken Guenther's PowerPoint on creating a personal development plan, given at Leadership Couples' Orientation
- A template for personal growth goals from the Personal Growth Self Assessment Tool developed by Steve Moore.
- Day Alone with God - a guide developed for the Member Orientation Program
- Good to Great in God's Eyes: 10 Practices Great Christians Have in Common by Chip Ingram*
- Renovation of the Heart Video Curriculum by Dallas Willard, being used by our East Asia teams
- A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller. Recommended by Jerry Benge.
- Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God by Timothy Keller. Highlights compiled by Len Geddert.
- Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret. Also available as a free download as of March 15, 2012. Recommended by Derek Baker (phenomenal in reminding us of the importance of prayer in missions)
- Staying saturated in the Gospel (a list of resources compiled by Ken Zuk to help in the process of preaching the Gospel to ourselves each day)
- Mentored Sonship- 8-month mentoring program by World Harvest Mission for those in full-time ministry.
- Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing by C. J. Mahaney. Recommended by Ken Zuk. "A small book, quick read, that reminds me of some very central Gospel truths...a book that I actually re-read once a year. Really has helped me to preach the Gospel to myself and refreshes me in the completed work of Christ and how that applies to my life as well as my ministry to others."
- The Idol Factory a series of 3 sermons by C. J. Mahaney, recommended by Ken Zuk. Free for download.
- Future Grace by John Piper. Recommended by Ken Zuk. Free sample of first 3 chapters available for PDF download from Desiring God website.
- Wisdom Hunters Daily Devotional (sent by email). Recommended by Deb Davis.
- Godly Servants: Discipleship and Spiritual Formation for Missionaries by David Teague, reviewed by Ken Guenther
- Faith Comes by Hearing - David Benzel writes, "You can download Bibles in various languages and translations to listen to, which I do constantly. You have to sign up to download something (but I've never gotten any mail from them) and they limit how many versions you can download at one time. There is probably about 20 various English options to download (dramatized, etc.). They used to have the NIV but don't any more. But they do have the ESV."
- Our Daily Bread Online
- You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions by Tim Chester. Recommended by Jacob Ginter. "discipleship that gets to the heart of the matter... not formulaic"
- Seeing the larger picture - an article by Dr. Evan Parks on how people change
- Heart of the Problem: When You're Tired of 'Just Coping' with Your Struggles and Want to Find a Cure, You're Ready to Face the... by Henry Brandt and Kerry Skinner. Recommended by John Paetkau.
- Transforming Grace: Living Confidently in God's Unfailing Love by Jerry Bridges. Recommended by Ken Zuk. "Great book to help us understand the enabling power of grace and the transforming work of grace. Much of this book exposed my own legalistic tendencies and pointed me to the finished work of Christ (like most of Bridges' books)."
- Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. Recommended by Andy Spradley. "A unique and very insightful look at the Sermon on the Mount. Seeks to inspire the reader to live a "God-saturated life". Richard Foster (author of Celebration of Discipline) called it "the book I have been waiting for all my life". A rich book for personal spiritual growth and reflection. I'm being inspired even more as I read it through for the 2nd time."
- Hazards of Being a Man: Overcoming 12 Challenges All Men Face by Jeffery E. Miller. Audio series also available as well as discussion guides. Recommended by Ron Redell. "Each entry in the series focuses on a different challenges that men face through eyes of Old Testament lives. All of the examples that Pastor Miller uses are negative examples so that we can learn from their failures."
- Counselling Resources at Christian Counselling and Educational Foundation, particularly articles by David Powlison, recommended by Jim Gabriels.
- see articles and resources on emotional intelligence, depression and burnout on this page
- Understanding Yourself - links to various personal self-assessment tools
- Personal Growth Self Assessment Tool developed by Steve Moore, president of The Mission Exchange, and author of the The Dream Cycle: Leveraging the Power of Personal Growth
- SEND Team Leader Profile Self-Assessment.docx based on SEND Team Leader Profile
- Cure for the Common Life: Living in your sweet spot by Max Lucado
- Intentional Living is a topic that is discussed in some detail in the pre-field Member Orientation Program. See the handouts for this session.
- Reflect & refocus - a series of questions to help us regain focus on life and ministry. Use it on a quarterly basis (once every 3 months).
- Should we set ministry goals, and why do goals make us more productive? See Goals and Accountability for Ministry Effectiveness: Insights from Psychological Science by David Dunaetz.
- The SEND North Central Europe Personal Review Form, which includes a section on personal development goals.
- Accountability questions suggested for an accountability partnership
Overcoming in the battle with pornography
- see resources on the Member Care page
Dealing with the Busyness and Stress of Ministry
- see resources on the Member Care page
Lifelong Learning in Mission
- Foundations of the Christian Faith (Master Reference Collection) by James Montgomery Boice. Recommended by Anne Marie Smoker. "A systematic theology book for the lay. The first half of the book is solid theology, may not interest some folks. But the second half of the book I've used over and over again in ministry as I relate to people and try to bring Christ into our conversations."